8 Oct 2014

Seasoned Friends

I'm a firm believer that people come into our lives for a purpose. I also believe some people are only in our lives for a season of time; and I also believe that things happen for a reason. I learnt these mantra's from personal experience. There was a period of my life where I did lose some friends, and at the time didn't really understand why our friendship, our dynamics were changing. 

Friendships are like a relationship. You invest your time and your heart into this person. You make memories together, you share your joys, fears and your dreams. So when the friendship ends you do feel a sense of sadness, loss, heart break even.

A few years ago I fell out of friendship with some people. I was thinking about it a few months back and trying to pinpoint what moment if any, where it all came undone. I think a few years ago it would have been clear as day but now, having moved on .. I can't for the life of me remember what happened. I do recall feeling the friendship was one sided where, I felt I was trying more than the other. 

At the time I thought I would never find friendships like theirs again, but to my surprise they were quickly replaced by new friends who I built a stronger connection with. People who were more giving, more loving, more selfless than my previous friends. These new friendships were so easy, genuine and these people really cared about me, despite not knowing me for very long at that time.

As you get older you know who your real friends are and who your acquaintances are ... and that's okay too. I've kind thought being in my thirties I've filtered who my real friends are, but I think there's some people who have reached their season in my life.

Again I'm finding some people harder to maintain a friendship with. For a while I've felt disappointed, rejected, judged and that the effort is one sided. I hate beating myself up with my over analysing the non verbal communication, the fakeness and the awkwardness. 

I'm not stating we're no longer friends ... I'm just done trying to maintain it, done caring. This isn't high school and I'm going to bad mouth you to people, ignore you in public or exclude you in a conversation ... I've just come to the realisation that our friendship reached its season.

Have you experienced friends who have peaked their season recently? How did you approach the situation, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons

Share this post with friends