31 Aug 2013

Theory vs. Practical

When I started telling a few friends about my blog I mentioned its purpose was not only write about my journey through motherhood but to discuss a topic that kinda comes naturally to me, money - well understanding how to manage it better.

I'm in no position to give financial advice (yet) but I know people in roles or jobs that do but I would never take any of their advice. Why? cause I know they don't practice what they preach. They're all text book and education, information you want/need to know but their lives does not reflect the advice they give. What I mean by this is, I know they've never made a risky financial decision in their life, so how do they know the practical application of what they say if they don't take it themselves.

This is why I usually seek advice or feedback from people who have done something I'm considering doing first before or even bothering seeing an "expert". The feedback from those who have "done it before" are invaluable because they have either succeed and or failed and will be able to give you advice to avoid the mistakes they made or take advantage of knowledge they've learnt. 

Admittedly since declaring that my blog will focus on the topic of money I've probably only blogged about it five times. There are many reasons as to why that is the case but the number one reason is, I write based on my personal journey with understanding and becoming better with money so I've taken the time and effort into these type of posts. 

Today I opened an email from a subscription I signed up to and the topic was 'How to Control Spending' written by Fred Schebesta, an Aussie entrepreneur (in my opinion) who focuses on Finance. 

What pleased me was reading the tips and advice he gave I too have covered in my past posts, well the same key messages. It's reassuring and validating to see the practical component I've applied in my life with money is the same as the theory these financial experts would've recommended. 

It reminds me, especially when I'm a stay at home mum, therefore at times seems like I have no control, that I'm doing something right. 


If you would like a copy of the email I received from Fred, email me and I'll be happy to forward it to you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share Buttons

Share this post with friends